Thursday, August 28, 2008

Outward Bound....Bound



So here is the post I've been promising about for a while. On September 15, I am heading to Asheville, NC to start a wilderness course that I signed up for. Outward Bound is basically a program for outdoor leadership and offers courses for all ages. Some of their programs are for troubled kids, some of them for anyone looking to have some fun and some of them are for adults like me who get anxious at the thought of sitting behind a desk. The course that I'm taking is a 50-day Instructor course and will end on November 3rd. Just in time to vote! The activities will include:backpacking, rock climbing, whitewater paddling, ropes course, Leave No Trace, Wilderness First Responder, educational development workshops, unaccompanied final expedition, instructor evaluations. The Wilderness First Responder certification is really important if I do end up wanting to pursue a career in outdoor leadership. Which gets me to my point about why I'm taking the course. After almost an entire summer of searching for jobs, turning down offers and not really knowing what I wanted I needed to get myself involved with something. My good friend and old coach, Buffy, met her husband doing Outward Bound and they both were instructors for a little while. They have nothing but terrific things to say about the program and after experiencing some Outward Bound philosophies through team building activities that Buffy always incorporated, I have always been curious about it. Then, back in February Rich mentioned wanting to do an outdoor course and he really got me thinking about doing one. So, here we are several months later and I'm actually doing it. I'm hoping that it will lead to a career as an Outdoor Instructor, at least for a little while. But, if nothing else I know it will be one of the best experiences of my life. The only thing I'm a little concerned about is the SOLO which is promised to be no longer than 72 hours. I like being in the wilderness with other people, but I'm not quite sure how well I will make out on my own. Nobody to talk to, and a serious fear of bears! Either way, I am very excited about the course. I obviously wont be able to blog while I'm there, but I'm sure I will have plenty to blog about when I get back. I will write a blog right before I leave to remind everyone that I will be out of commission.

No comments: