Sunday, August 24, 2008

The power of community support

Recently, my boyfriend Rich found out that his hometown of Mansfield, PA would be housing a YMCA. This might not sound like a big deal, but for a town like his it would be a community/life changing thing. When he was growing up he simply had no place to really work out, play basketball, or just be active. So, when he heard of the news he got really excited and decided to start an advocacy group to try and show community support for a YMCA. This was equally as exciting to me, since it meant a lot of Public Relations type work. I felt like my college experience in my major could finally come to some use in helping Rich get his group going and out there. While Rich spent hours upon hours emailing various people, I got to help him with the fun stuff like a facebook group (now with 100+ members), a blog, a logo, a tee-sirt design and a 5k flier. He also received a ton of support and help from several people he went to High School with. It was simply amazing to me how involved a bunch of people, who are now living far away from Mansfield, wanted to be in a project that wouldn't benefit them personally.

This weekend was the 5k fun run/walk. In just a months time, with everyone's efforts, we were able to get a group of about 60 people to show up to a 5k on a Saturday morning at 10am. I would call that a huge success! The 50 tee-shirts that Rich had purchased for the event were gone in a flash and everyone looked so sharp walking/running around town showing their support. I was glad that I got the chance to be a part of it. It is a really refreshing thing to experience how much community support there is in such a small town. It makes me also not take for granted all of the resources I had as a child growing up. I don't know how I ever would have been able to accomplish the same level of athletic success that I did, without the use of a gym. I only hope that when the YMCA does make its way to Mansfield, it can provide the types of programs and facilities the town has been needing for a very long time!

1 comment:

Andreea Laura said...

Very cool.
Nice job! I think it's a great cause you guys worked on!
Keep it up!
(Oh and I like the logo :) )