Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Labor Day Tradition


Since I can remember, it has been customary for my Dad's side of he family to gather in Syracuse during Labor Day weekend to celebrate the New York State Fair. So, this past weekend Rich and I spent the holiday with my family. On Saturday night we went up to Tunkhannock, PA where my Aunt Marilyn and cousins all live. We had a very nice dinner with them and then roasted marsh mellows, even though I was so stuffed. I was glad I got the chance to spend time with the Kelly's, since they wouldn't be making it up to the fair. It was also nice to see my old dog KIA. The next morning, we got up early and had breakfast with Marilyn at Marsha's, a local diner. Then Rich and I headed up to Syracuse. We went to my Uncle Jon's house, got settled and then headed for the fair. Normally the weekend starts a day earlier, so we had to cram some of the old traditions all in one day, rather than spread out over a few days. So, we went to the fair and ate more awesome food. We also had 25 cent milk and looked at the butter sculpture and sand sculpture. I was pretty impressed with the sand sculpture. We also watched a skateboarding and biking show with some pretty cool stunts. Then, we headed up to Victory, NY where my Uncle Jim lives and started hosting a bon fire a few years ago. We again had MORE food and chatted all evening until it was time to light the fire. Some of Marilyn and my Uncle Ralph's old High School friends were there and it was really neat to hear all about their childhood and all the trouble they got into. When it came time to light the fire, Marilyn declared that she would start it this year. After a little bit of trouble, the huge fire was ablaze in no time. For the rest of the evening we hung around the fire, trying to stay warm and shared good conversation. We really wanted to make smores, but the fire was too hot. So, my cousin Bobby bravely risked himself to go in and rake out some of the fire so we could roast the marsh mellows. It was a really tiring, but very fun day. The next morning we continued with the traditions by having breakfast pizza. Are you getting the idea yet that this whole weekend was about food? Then, we headed to Dewitt and Fayetville to visit my Dad and Grandfather's graves. My Aunt Mary Jane placed a fair ticket on my Dad's grave last year, since it was something he loved to do so much and luckily she had another one this year so I guess she started a new tradition. Then we met my Grandmother at my Grandfather's grave and headed over to her house for some refreshments and to visit with her a little bit. Finally, we headed to Heid's for the last Labor Day tradition. Heid's is a local hot dog shop that sells Coney's. For those of you who don't know what that is, it's basically a white hot dog that is a lot tastier than a regular hot dog. Then we headed home, with a quick stop in Mansfield to visit with Rich's Mom. It was a jam packed weekend, but I'm so glad I got to be a part of the tradition that college had gotten in the way of for so many years!




A special thanks to Marilyn, the Kelly's, Jon and Mary Jane, and Jim for all of the wonderful hospitality.

No comments: