Monday, October 5, 2009

Ma Mere comes to Utah

Back in September my Mom came to visit me in Utah. We spent the first day exploring Saint George and I showed her where I work and even drove her close to the field area our kids are in. We also went to Snow Canyon State Park the first day, which is a beautiful park just outside Saint George. We attempted a couple of trails at the moderate level and decided it best to complete an easy trail because of the heat that day. It was warmer than usual for September!

The next day we went to Bryce Canyon National Park. On the way there we stopped at Cedar Breaks National Monument. My Mom was really impressed with the scenery and I was excited to collect stamps for my National Park Passport. At Bryce, we walked along the rim trail for a while and decided to head back as a Thunder Storm was rolling in. It turned out being a pretty cool lightening storm in the distance and once we were safely in the car and not struck it seemed even cooler. We got back in the car just in time to miss the rain and head to Cedar City for dinner at one of my favorite restaurants. Cafe Orleans, which I don't get to go to much because it's an hour drive, offers authentic New Orleans style food and was perfect for my Mom.

On the third day of touring the scenery Southern Utah has to offer, we headed to Zion National Park. We ate lunch just before entering the park and got there just in time for the rain, so we drove through the entire park to kill some time and then got on the shuttle to catch a trail. We had a nice walk on the Emerald Pools Trail and got to learn all about the park while on the shuttle. My Mom was equally as impressed with Zion as she was Bryce.

The final day of the visit, we headed to Las Vegas to watch the Cirque Du Soleil show, "Love". Being the huge Beatles fan that she is, my Mom really got into the show. After the show, we walked around for a while and decided we weren't much built for the Vegas Strip so we headed back to the hotel to relax.
The next morning I dropped my Mom off at the airport and we said our farewells. It was a really nice week and I look forward to having more visitors!

No comments: