Sunday, August 9, 2009

I Get Paid To Do This?

As I have already mentioned, I recently moved to Southwestern Utah to pursue a career in the outdoors. After 7 days of training, I was offered the job and began working as an intern on June 2nd. My first week in the field was an interesting one as I was the only female working with an all male staff in an adolescent boys group. I again returned to this group for my second week, but had the company of another female staff. You quickly learn here at Second Nature that as a female you are the minority.

After my second shift, I got moved to the adolescent girls group and have stayed there for 3 consecutive shifts. This was a complete turn around from working with all guys. It has been an awesome experience getting to know the young ladies and working with different staff members that I have learned so much from. After being here a few months I have no doubt in my mind that I made the right choice moving out here.

I go into work every Tuesday and work 8 consecutive days backpacking and camping in the wilderness. While the program is very Therapy focused, a lot of what I do is simply keep our clients safe and help facilitate their daily lives in the wilderness. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I get paid to live out of a backpack, supervise a little, and help people attempt to better their lives. During my first couple of shifts as we would sit around the fire and tell stories, laugh, cry or just talk, I kept reminding myself how lucky I am to have a job that not only helps others grow, but also helps myself grow as an individual.

Don't get me wrong, my job is hard work and tolling at times, but I'm thankful to not be sitting in an office wearing business clothes in front of a computer all day long. It's also not the worst thing in the world to have 12 days off per month to explore the many things the West has to offer.

If you want to learn more about the Second Nature click here!

No comments: