Friday, May 29, 2009

Those Navajo Police Will Getcha



Normally, I wouldn't be broadcasting the fact that I got pulled over and was cited for speeding on an Indian Reservation. However, I think the circumstances make this story worth while. After I left White Sands, I was headed for Mexican Hat, Utah to stay the night. I knew I was going to be passing a National Monument in Arizona and I decided to make a huge effort to see it.

I arrived in the Canyon De Chelley National Monument area a couple of hours before sunset and I decided I had about an hour to do some exploring. After I visited the first scenic over look, I was going to just get in my car and drive the remaining two hours to Mexican Hat. But, I ran into some locals who convinced me that the next couple of stops would be well worth my while.

I was so impressed with what I had already seen, and so excited to get to the next spot, that I wasn't even paying attention to how fast I was driving. I just knew that I wanted to see the next awesome thing, and before I knew it a cop was pulling me over. At that point, I didn't know how bad the damage would be since I didn't know how fast I was going.

As it turns out, I was speeding 14 mph over the speed limit and I was given a tribal citation. The only thing a person needs to know about a Tribal citation is that it doesn't affect your license or your insurance and for that I'm very lucky.
Lesson learned: Too much excitement will get you in trouble!


2 comments:

Marilyn said...

FYI - Reservation police love to stop gringos. I've been there many times.

Andreea Laura said...

Humm would you believe that I had to come to your blog in order to be able to retrace my own long lost blog! It's been so long since I wrote anything that I have even forgotten the link to it! Geez... well thank you for having it on here anyways! ;)
Keep writing missy, it's nice to be able to catch up this way at least.
Keep in touch and good luck ahead!