Thursday, May 21, 2009

750 Feet Under

The first scenic stop I made along the way was at Carlsbad Caverns in New Mexico. I decided to go on the Natural Entrance self guided tour as it would take about an hour. I was very excited to use my newly purchased annual National Park Pass for free admission into the caverns.
The trail takes you winding down farther and farther through amazing formations. It first starts outside where the amphitheater for the evening bat viewing lies. Unfortunately I wasn't able to stay until dusk when the bats fly, but this is something I would love to come back for! The cavern experience was a good opportunity to practice my photography skills, as well as to use my new tri pod. At times I had to keep my shutter open for nearly a minute, only to come up with a barely lit photograph. I did get a few pictures that took in enough light though.

After I finished at the Caverns, my plan was to head for Guadalupe Mountains National Park. I was really hoping, because of time, that this would be something I could take a scenic drive through. However, when I got there I realized that the park was primarily a hiking park and therefore, I wouldn't have enough time to really do anything there. I did get a few pictures of the Mountains that I would someday like to hike. In most cases, paved roads through natural beauty really bothers me, but this was the one time I had been hoping for mankind to have stepped in. I guess I will have to go back someday!






















No comments: