Thursday, March 5, 2009

Out of Practice

About a week ago, I decided to take advantage of the lovely weather and go for a day hike with my friend, through my sister and Brett, Iain. We decided to start the day early since I had plans to go to a Caps game with my Mom later that night. Iain has a book of Virginia hikes, so we looked through them and decided to go to Old Rag Mountain in the Shenandoah.

We decided to do a loop that measures about 9 miles in distance and estimated taking more than four hours. Old Rag is known for it's challenging boulders and the mountain certainly did not disappoint. It reminded me a lot of hiking Grandfather Mountain in North Carolina, except at no point during the Old Rag hike did I feel my life was actually in danger.

It was great to get back to hiking, having not done any serious hikes since Outward Bound. It was also a wake-up call at how out of shape I am in terms of hiking. I was carrying a fairly light pack with water and a few snacks in it and for the most part made the hike just fine. However, the following couple of days were pretty brutal as every muscle in my body was sore. It was actually nice to feel that sore again and it really made me miss the woods. I hope to be going on several more hikes as the weather continues to get nicer.

Northern Virginia has a lot more to offer than one might think!

1 comment:

The Gardner Family said...

When are we going back!?!?! Not that I went the first time, but the sunny weather is taunting me and I need a good hike under my belt :)