Wednesday, February 25, 2009

When one door closes, another one opens

A couple of weeks ago I decided to relocate myself back to Northern Virginia. I was finding it really difficult to find anything in State College and I was slowly realizing that I didn't even enjoy living there. Central Pennsylvania is especially depressing in the middle of winter when it is grey almost every day of the week. It is no secret that what kept me staying there for as long as I did, was my relationship with Rich. However, I decided I needed to start moving forward with my own pursuits as I knew there was nothing career oriented for me in State College.

About a week ago I collected the remainder of my things, went to Massanutten for a ski weekend with the Family and a few days later officially landed back in the DC area. Within a few days Rich and I ended things. He needs to do his own thing, as do I. We had a lot of great times together, but that isn't always enough to hold things together.

I was originally a little skeptical about coming back home as I felt that I didn't have a ton of friends here and didn't think I would really have any more luck finding a job. Little did I know that it would be the best decision I ever could have made. Within days of returning home, I was hired at Curves. I am already on day three of working for them and I absolutely love it. It is obviously a temporary part-time job, but it is a great filler job for now and it is the first thing I have been able to get since I have started looking for jobs. Plus, if and when I leave it will be a great thing for my sister to take over if she wants to.

I have also been spending a lot of time with friends and realizing how silly it was all this time that I thought I would have nobody to spend time with. In addition to that, I have been attending a lot of hockey games with my Mom and spending a lot of time with my sister and nephews. I have a new appreciation for family and it has only been a week!

I tend to be a bit negative sometimes, and it is situations like this that really kick me in the butt and remind me how lucky I am. I am so thankful that despite all my struggles with finding a job, I still have a roof over my head and friends and family by my side.

Who knows what doors will open next!

1 comment:

The Gardner Family said...

we are SO SO SO HAPPY to have you home and LOVE seeing you all the time. See you tomorrow!