Monday, January 19, 2009

Heart Breaking

During the holidays, I spent a lot of time at my sister's house, helping her with the kids since she was sick. We also ran errands together to prepare for my Mom's surprise party. I really enjoy spending time at her house since I also get to spend a lot of time with my nephews. Surprisingly, despite not being around all the time, Peter has taken to me quite well.

Whenever I go to Jill's house Peter's face lights up. He even came right over to me and put his head on my lap for several minutes one time. I was surprised too when during my Mom's party, Peter came to me briefly for comfort after being attached to Jill for most of the evening. Peter takes to most people very quickly and isn't shy, but it's very comforting to know that he recognizes me even though I haven't been around all that much.
Before I left Virginia to go back to State College, I stopped by my sister's house to say good bye and see the kids one last time. As I was getting ready to leave, Peter kept asking me to pick him up and didn't want me to put him down. I finally decided it was time to hit the road. In an effort to calm Peter down, Jill picked him up to help wish me off. As soon as I started to go out the door, Peter started all out crying and screaming. It was the hardest thing to just walk out with that going on. Jill said it even took him a while to settle down after I was gone. It broke my heart to have affected the little guy in that way. I guess I will just have to visit more often.

1 comment:

The Gardner Family said...

aww... Aunt Katelyn is his favorite! He cannot wait to hike with you this weekend and go on a ski trip next weekend! We miss you... now post those gator pics!