Thursday, January 8, 2009

Conquer your fears

After Grandfather Mountain, we were going to have several more days involving heights. First we would have two days of Ropes Course. People have fondly called this "a playground for adults." In my opinion this statement is backwards. It is basically a tight ropes course that is 100 feet in the air. That sounds more like something kids would be all about. Or at least for me as a kid I would have been way more into this than I am now. However, it was definitely really fun and challenging. At the end of the course there is this device that sort of simulates a swing. You pretty much have to just step off this platform and let yourself go.
On day 2 of Ropes Course, we were getting all ready to go when we were informed that two hikers in the Gorge were lost. They had been over due for about 14 hours and as a service, Outward Bound offers their employees in assisting with search and rescue. Since we happened to be on base camp for Ropes Course, we also got to be a part of the search and rescue team. Eager to test our Wilderness First Responder skills and everything else we had learned, we packed our day packs and headed up to the parking lot to get some more information on our mission. By the time we got up there, the couple had been spotted by a helicopter. We were totally bummed. Not only did we have to miss our Ropes Course, but we didn't get to be a part of the rescue team. However, we were obviously very glad the couple was safe and found.
The following day, we began our rocks block. Yet again, testing the fear of heights thing. I guess at this point I felt like I was beginning to conquer my fears. The first day of climbing we learned all the knots and how a belay system works. It was pouring the whole day, but that didn't stop us from climbing. In fact, I climbed the rock in sneakers on a soaking wet rock. I learned the true value of rock climbing shoes, but I was glad I had accomplished such a daunting task. For the next 4 days we continued to learn about climbing, setting up safe rock sites, and belaying. We even got to do a traverse on the last day, which basically means traveling from one cliff to another on a rope. Talk about scary!
On the third day of climbing we got to do a multi-pitch climb. This basically means that you are climbing with at least two people up a rock that either has bolts set in place or is appropriate for you setting your own bolts with climbing gear. You have a lead climber who is basically on no safety equipment until they get to the first bolt. They climb to the first anchor and then belay the second climber. Once the second climber reaches the anchor, the third climber comes up. All three climbers are attached by rope and are responsible for each other's safety. Once we all get to the first anchor, also called the "belay ledge", we go to the next pitch. You continue to do that until you make it to the top. Obviously as students we had professional lead climbers helping us make the climb. It was the highlight of the rocks block, however I ended up climbing an easier route than originally planned due to the crowds and I was a little bummed about that.
The whole sequence of events really helped me overcome my fears. Especially during the rocks block, I really just focused on the rock itself and hardly even thought about the heights. It was probably one of the best weeks of my entire life and I feel so lucky to have experienced it all!

2 comments:

Marilyn said...

You are the best blogger ever! That is amazing. How do you get down those cliffs with all of that shit on your back???

KB said...

It was no easy task. It didn't really hit us at the time how crazy it all was.