Thursday, December 4, 2008

SOLO

Solo was my most dreaded event that I knew was going to happen at some point during our 50 days. I also knew that it would be no longer than a 72 hour period. About half way between the length of the course we were told that we were about to be put on Solo. At first, we had been told that we would be there for only about two nights and a total of 48 hours. This had been pretty exciting to me since I wasn't looking forward to spending the night alone in the dark. As we were getting prepped for the event, we were informed that Solo had been lengthened to three nights and closer to 72 hours. The only reason that I didn't completely freak out is because my biggest fear had been encountering a bear during this time, but the earlier incident with a bear had eased my mind about that.
At Outward Bound, Solo is extremely important. Every one has to go through it, no matter what the length of your course. For the first day our journals were taken, our limited amount of food was taken, and for the entire time our knives had also been taken for safety. We were encouraged to use this time to think and just be with ourselves. A lot of people in my crew were definitely looking forward to getting away from each other. We were also given a small tarp big enough for one and only three strands of cord to put it up with. This meant that we would have to get creative in setting up our tarps. We were given two writing assignments that we wouldn't be able to start until the following morning when our food was returned to us and we were also instructed to make a "mailbox" for food and water to be picked up and dropped off in.

Once we were put on Solo, I built my tarp using hair ties, the cord we had been given and shoe laces. Then I built my mailbox and tried to get creative. I attempted to sit outside, but couldn't keep my eyes open so I went under the tarp to take a nap. It started to rain and rained for the next day and a half. I got through the first night without waking up and eagerly awaited my food and journal. We were allowed two bagels, an apple and a small block of cheese for the whole time. I attempted to pass the time with writing, but somehow that went really quickly. I also tried to think about really important things, but somehow the only thing in my head was the song, "She'll be coming around the Mountain when she comes"...over and over and over again.

The next two days seemed to take forever. Being confined to a small area in the woods where you can't see or talk to anyone else is sort of depressing. I guess if I had been able to be more reflective in my head I would have enjoyed it more. I am pretty proud of myself that I managed to get through the whole thing without too much trouble.

1 comment:

The Gardner Family said...

I think we are all ready for a blog update!